Hanging pencil pleat curtains
These instructions will help you to hang and dress your new made to measure pencil pleat curtains perfectly.
- Before you gather your curtains, securely knot together the draw cords at both ends of the heading tape. See Fig. 1
- You now need to fix your curtains at the width they will be when they are closed. To do this take one end of the curtain, hold the tie cords firmly in one hand whilst gently pushing the curtain heading evenly along the cords. Draw the curtain to the required width. See Fig. 2
- Check the width is correct by holding each curtain up at the pole or track. Tip: allow for a slight overlap in the middle (approx 2.5 cm or 1 inch) so the curtains fully close.
- Once you are happy with the width tie the surplus cord string at the outer edge of the curtain. Never cut the cord or tie too tightly as you will need to undo your curtains before cleaning. Excess cord can then be tucked neatly behind the tape out of the way. Do this for both curtains.
- Inserting hooks. Divide the rings, or glider hooks evenly to each side of your pole or track. Insert the curtain hooks evenly along the curtain header tape to correspond with the number of rings or glider hooks on the pole or track. Don’t forget to count the fixed end stop if you are using a track. See Fig. 3
- Pencil pleat curtain tape has three rows for height setting. To get the right height:
- For tracks: Insert the hooks into the lower rows so that the heading covers the track
- For poles: Insert the hooks into the top row of the pockets so that the curtain hangs below the pole.
- Next attach each hook to a glider or ring. Pull the curtains back making sure the spaces between the curtain hooks are even. Adjust accordingly. Starting from the top gently smooth each pleat for the folds to form neatly.
- Dressing your curtains once up. All curtains need time to settle and it may take a few weeks for any creasing to drop out and the folds to fall correctly. Tip: to achieve a professional look, take a strip of fabric, ribbon or cord and loosely tie around each curtain to keep the pleats in place. Keep the curtains tied in position for a min of 48 hours. This will allow your curtain to develop distinct and even pleats.
All our curtains are dry clean only. For individual and full wash care instructions please follow the care label.
Please note: we do not recommend that our curtains are ironed or steamed. We will not accept any liability for damage caused by incorrect washing or ironing.